3 more days to go, I simply can't take this Royal Selangor 30-day ‘Get your jelly on’ Challenge without making the good ole Aussie lamington, right? Well, my version will be a cone shaped lamington and I also jazzed it up a bit by making a Pandan Laminton. It looks so pretty when you cut it oven revealing the vivid green inside!
For the pandan chiffon or sponge cake whatever you want to call it, I pretty much used the same recipe that I've learned from Maggie Beer challenge on Masterchef. It is a foolproof recipe that I'll stick to and simply added a dash of pandan essence to the mixture. It would be a lot easier to make lamington cubes instead of a cone. Hence, I've decided to use kaya jam to adhere them together to fit into the mould. You can get the kaya recipe here, but I simply used store bought when I am lazy. I actually love the combination of kaya with the pandan cake with the outer layer of chocolate and coconut, it works really well together. Give it a try!
And don't forget to comment about this dessert to enter the competition to WIN an autographed Royal Selangor Nick Munro jelly mould and an Olympus camera!
And make sure you come back each day for a new tit-illating video! Seriously, there are some really good ones that you simply can't take your eyes off! :D
3 eggs, separated.
60g butter, melted
90g self raising flour
a pinch of baking soda
a pinch of Cream of Tartar
a drop of pandan essence
100g dark chocolate
1tbsp olive oil
1/2cup dessicated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 170C fan-force.
2. Beat the yolks with 30g of sugar until thick and pale. Sift the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar in, add melted butter and pandan essence, stir to mix well.
3. Beat the egg white until soft peak, then gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peak and glossy.
4. Fold 1/3 of the egg white into the mixture to loosen it up, then fold the rest 1/3 at a time into the mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased baking tray lined with baking paper, bake in the oven for 15 mins. Take it out and let cool on the wire rack.
6. Cut the cake into triangles, grease and line the mould with baking paper, fill the mould with cakes and glue them together with kaya jam until the mould is filled. Transfer to fridge and let it set.
7. Melt the chocolate in microwave for 15 secs, stir to dissolve, then add olive oil and mix well.
8. Take the cake out, peel paper off, coat the cake in chocolate sauce, then quickly sprinkle dessicated coconut all over. Transfer to fridge and let it set.
WIN Royal Selangor Nick Munro Jelly Mould autographed by Billy Law from Masterchef 2011 & a Olympus VG-110 Camera.
If you like my jelly idea/concept for the Royal Selangor 30-day 'Get your jelly on' challenge in aid of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, please do support and leave a comment. Any feedback, idea or even share your story is very much appreciated! Each time you leave a comment will automatically enter into the competition to win these fabulous prizes! You can also use the buttons below and share it with the social world! Thank you!
Entries close 30th October, winner will be announced on 31st Oct.