For those who has watched MasterChef Australia this season, I think I should clarify why suddenly Michael Weldon dropped the bombshell and called me the 'Dessert Queen' during the Westfield challenge. It was actually an inside joke that had been carried on for quite some time in the Masterchef house and actually started by Craig Young, not Michael. During an interview, Craig had started given me the nickname 'Priscilla', Queen of the Dessert. Get it? The joke actually stuck with me for quite some time, but only made it to the editing room half way through the show. So for those who misunderstood Michael as racist or homophobic, no, he is not. Short and fat, maybe, but definitely not racist nor homophobic. :P
Anyway, so far I've only made one savoury jelly throughout the whole Royal Selangor 30-day ‘Get your jelly on’ Challenge and probably will be the only one I am going to make, I'll stick to desserts thank you very much. For today's dessert, I give you something rich, sexy and bling - Black & Gold.
The Black & Gold is a passionfruit cheesecake with chocolate glace outside. Then I just glammed it up with gold left and a chocolate UFO disk. Purdy no? The cheesecake is easy to make, just a mix of cream cheese, cream, sugar and a swirl of passionfruit pulp. It goes will with the dark chocolate glace on the outside, a nice balance of sweet and tartness. Hope you enjoy.
And don't forget to comment about this dessert to enter the competition to WIN an autographed Royal Selangor Nick Munro jelly mould and an Olympus camera!
And make sure you come back each day for a new tit-illating video! Seriously, there are some really good ones that you simply can't take your eyes off! :D
BLACK & GOLD 150g cream cheese, room temperature
100ml thickened cream
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp passionfruit pulp
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
30g dark chocolate
30g dark chocolate (for the disk)
1. Beat the cream cheese, cream and sugar in a bowl until smooth, fold in the passion fruit pulp.
2. Grease and line the jelly mould, then pour in the mixture. Transfer to fridge and let it set overnight.
3. Make the chocolate glace, add cocoa powder, sugar and water into a saucepan and whisk gently on medium heat, let it simmer for 2 mins the pour through a sift into the dark chocolate. Stir until all chocolate has melted. Let it cool to room temperature.
4. Take the cheesecake out of the fridge and peel the paper off. Work quickly, drizzle the chocolate glace all over and make sure is well coasted. Transfer back to fridge to let it set.
5. To make the chocolate disk, melt the chocolate in the microwave for 20 sec, stir to dissolve. Spread the chocolate on a parchment paper and slowly spread it out with a palette knife. Let it set to room temperature, then use ring cutters to cut out the disk.
6. To assemble, wrap a sheet of gold leaf around the cheesecake, then place the chocolate disk on top on an angle.
WIN Royal Selangor Nick Munro Jelly Mould autographed by Billy Law from Masterchef 2011 & a Olympus VG-110 Camera.
If you like my jelly idea/concept for the Royal Selangor 30-day 'Get your jelly on' challenge in aid of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, please do support and leave a comment. Any feedback, idea or even share your story is very much appreciated! Each time you leave a comment will automatically enter into the competition to win these fabulous prizes! You can also use the buttons below and share it with the social world! Thank you!
Entries close 30th October, winner will be announced on 31st Oct.