Keep popping, don't stop till you get enough!
Guess what? I've just spent yesterday working part time at Patisse, doing pastry! I was pretty nervous and felt like first day back to school again. Everything was new and unfamiliar to me, I had to ask lot of questions where things are, how to operate the machines in a professional kitchen. The usual clumsy me of course had to make a statement on my first day and disrupted the whole kitchen by knocking down a stack of copper pots and scattered everywhere.
"It is Billy from Masterchef first day working at Patisse!" Head chef Vincent Gadan announced it to everyone in the kitchen, at that moment I felt like I've just officially been accepted to be part of the team.
First day has been great and I enjoyed every second of it, I can't wait to go back next week to learn more about pastry making! In the mean time, there is also a very exciting upcoming event at Patisse that Vincent and I have put together. You'll hear about it real soon! But for now, I will just have to keep you salivating with my 29th Royal Selangor 30-day ‘Get your jelly on’ Challenge's dessert - POP TILL YOU DROP!
Pop Till You Drop is a salted caramel popcorn ice cream dessert it is! This is a fun one to make, inside is actually vanilla ice cream with salted caramel sauce, then sealed in Weetbix crumbs, yes you heard me right, Weetbix! The first time I used Weetbix for dessert was actually the second audition for Masterchef! They loved it and also the reason why I got through to Top 50 really, the judges always appreciate innovative cooks. Then I finished off the dessert with a wall of caramel popcorn!
Now I really want to see this dessert at the cinema!
And don't forget to comment about this dessert to enter the competition to WIN an autographed Royal Selangor Nick Munro jelly mould and an Olympus camera!
And make sure you come back each day for a new tit-illating video! Seriously, there are some really good ones that you simply can't take your eyes off! :D
POP TILL YOU DROP 2 weetbix, finely crumbed
50g chilled butter, cut into cubes
vanilla ice cream
1 handful of corn kernels
30g butter (for popping the corn)
Salted caramel sauce 1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of sea salt
1. Add weetbix and chilled butter into a bowl, use finger tips and rub the butter into the weetbix until it comes together as fine crumbs.
2. Slowly build up a wall in the jelly mould using the weetbix crumb until is all covered. carefully transfer to freeze and let it set.
3. Then make the caramel sauce by adding sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to boil on high heat without stirring, once it reaches 154C and the sugar turns amber colour, pour the heavy cream into the saucepan, be careful as it will splatter. Stir to mix well then let it boil for 3 minutes and set it aside to let cool.
4. Take the mould out of the fridge, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and press firmly to fill all the gaps, then drizzle a spoonful of caramel sauce, sprinkle with a bit of sea salt, then ready with more vanilla and caramel sauce until the mould is filled. Transfer it back to freezer to let it set.
5. Make the popcorn by adding corn kernels and butter into a saucepan with lid on medium-high heat. Shake the saucepan occassionally so the kernels dont burned. The corns will start popping eventually and make sure to keep shaking the saucepan with lid on. Once ready, transfer to a bowl and drizzle with same caramel sauce and mix well.
6. Take the ice cream out of the mould gentle, then smear caramel sauce all over it, then stick all the popcorns all over the ice cream.
7. Serve immediately.
WIN Royal Selangor Nick Munro Jelly Mould autographed by Billy Law from Masterchef 2011 & a Olympus VG-110 Camera.
If you like my jelly idea/concept for the Royal Selangor 30-day 'Get your jelly on' challenge in aid of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, please do support and leave a comment. Any feedback, idea or even share your story is very much appreciated! Each time you leave a comment will automatically enter into the competition to win these fabulous prizes! You can also use the buttons below and share it with the social world! Thank you!
Entries close 30th October, winner will be announced on 31st Oct.