A Perth eatery that dishes up sophisticated modern Australian fare has been named as the best fine dining restaurant in the county by travel bible TripAdvisor.
Juniper & Bay in the inner suburb of Como took out the top prize in TripAdvisor’s 2021 Travellers’ Choice “Best of the Best” Restaurants Awards.
The high-end restaurant has won fans across Australia and around the world for its sophisticated take on modern Australian and European cuisine, with a menu that features sumptuous dishes like salmon carpaccio with lemon gel, roast duck in port and prune jus, and a Manjimup truffle degustation option.
RELATED: Australia’s insane $24 Nutella treat
As well as its impressive menu, TripAdvisor votes praised its excellent service and ambient setting, a stone’s throw from the Swan River waterfront.
Juniper & Bay edged out other worthy eateries like Wild Harvest in the Tasmanian town of Grassy, Pipeclay Pumphouse in the NSW foodie paradise of Mudgee, and fellow West Australian restaurants Chez Pierre in Nedlands and Pepper & Salt Restaurant in Denmark.
The “Best of the Best” Restaurant Awards are decided by an algorithm that analyses millions of reviews and opinions by global travellers on TripAdvisor over a single year.
Best fine dining restaurants in Australia
According to TripAdvisor’s “Best of the Best” Restaurant Awards
1. Juniper & Bay, Como, WA
2. Wild Harvest, Grassy, Tasmania
3. Pipeclay Pumphouse, Mudgee, NSW
4. Chez Pierre, Nedlands, WA
5. Pepper & Salt Restaurant, Denmark WA
6. EXP. restaurant, Pokolbin, NSW
7. Friends Restaurant, Perth, WA
8. Melaleuca, Port Douglas, Qld
9. The Stunned Mullet, Port Macquarie, NSW
10. Sunset Food and Wine, Kangaroo Island, SA
Best restaurants in the world
The awards also have a global category, with British establishment The Old Stamp House Restaurant, in Ambleside in England’s Lake District, named travellers’ favourite fine dining restaurant in the world.
Fancy eateries in France, Japan and Mexico rounded out the global top five.
No Australian restaurants made it on the global list, however The Grove in central Auckland, which specialises in modern New Zealand fare with a French twist, placed 15th on the list, and Sails Restaurant, also in Auckland, landed in spot 20.
1. The Old Stamp House Restaurant, Ambleside, UK
2. Restaurant La Maison d’à Côté, Montlivault, France
3. Ise Sueyoshi, Nishiazabu, Japan
4. Restaurante Benazuza, Cancun, Mexico
5. Les Plaisirs Gourmands, Schiltigheim, France
6. El Xato, La Nucia, Spain
7. Martin Berasategui, Lasarte-Oria, Spain
8. Oro Restaurante, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
9. Quintessenza, Trani, Italy
10. Ristorante Villa Crespi, Orta San Giulio, Italy
11. Auberge Du Vieux Puits, Fontjoncouse, France
12. Inn at Little Washington, Virginia, US
13. La Colombe, Constantia, South Africa
14. French Grill, Hanoi, Vietnam
15. The Grove, Auckland Central, NZ
16. Ristorante Don Alfonso 1890, Sant’Agata sui Due Golfi, Italy
17. The Kitchin, Edinburgh, UK
18. L’Enclume, Cartmel, UK
19. Uri Buri, Acre, Israel
20. Sails Restaurant, Auckland Central, New Zealand