South Australia has recorded 24 new cases of COVID-19 today, including four of the Omicron variant.
- There are 24 new COVID-19 cases in SA today
- Four of the new cases are the Omicron variant
- Six close contact exposure sites have been announced today
Today’s cases include five children under the age of 18, nine men aged between 19 and 45, and 10 women aged between 20 and 74.
Nine were acquired in South Australia and were known contacts of a positive case.
SA Health said seven cases were still under investigation, including four acquired in South Australia.
Seven cases were acquired interstate and one overseas.
Of the 24 cases announced today, 12 were vaccinated and two were unvaccinated, while the vaccination status of 10 was unknown.
None of the new cases were linked to the 22 aged care sites that two COVID-positive healthcare workers had attended.
South Australia has recorded 159 cases since the borders opened on November 23.
Yesterday, the state recorded 25 new cases — the highest daily total since April 2020.
Two men remain in the Royal Adelaide Hospital in a stable condition.
Six close contact sites identified
SA Health also announced six close contact exposure sites today, including some locations from more than a week ago.
The close contact exposure sites include renowned CBD restaurant Africola last Tuesday from 7:35pm to 10:15pm, as well as North Adelaide restaurant Marrakech last Wednesday from 7:30pm to 9:15pm.
Stonemill Rice Rolls, on Morphett Street, was an exposure site last Tuesday from 10:15am to 11:15am.
The Little Hunter was listed as an exposure site last night for indoor patrons only from 6:45pm to 8:00pm.
It was announced this morning that cricket captain Pat Cummins will miss today’s Ashes at the Adelaide Oval after being deemed a close contact of a COVID-positive diner at a restaurant last night.
Long lines formed at testing sites today as people queued for hours, including cricket fans at the Royal Adelaide Hospital’s walk-in clinic.
Other close contact sites announced today include Gouger Street restaurant PappaRich on Saturday from 6:30pm to 7:30pm, and Goodlife Health Club in Hindmarsh on Sunday from 1:45pm to 3:00pm.
Vaccinated people who were at a close contact site during the exposure period must quarantine for seven days since the day they were at the venue, while unvaccinated people must quarantine for 14 days.
Everyone who attended close contact exposure sites must be tested immediately, and again on days 6 and 13.
SA Health said there were currently 1,300 people in quarantine after being identified as close contacts of positive cases.
A number of casual contact exposure sites were also announced today, including the Adelaide Magistrates Court last Thursday and the Exeter Hotel last Tuesday.
Restaurant George’s on Waymouth posted on its Facebook page this morning that it had closed yesterday “out of an abundance of caution” after a positive case attended, although it has not been listed as an exposure site by SA Health.
Owner George Kasimatis said he had been advised by SA Health that the CBD restaurant could remain open but he did “not have the depth of staff” to trade under the quarantine requirements.
International arrivals banned from major events for 14 days
SA Police announced today that international arrivals will be banned from entering high-risk settings or major events for 14 days after they enter the state.
High-risk settings include aged care and disability care facilities, prisons and hospital emergency departments.
Yesterday, SA Premier Steven Marshall announced that quarantine for vaccinated international arrivals would be slashed in half effective immediately.
The state had previously moved to seven-day quarantine when it opened its borders on November 23, but backtracked days later because of concerns over the Omicron variant of COVID-19.
Check the table below to find all the sites and exposure windows.
You can find information on testing site hours and the nearest site to you on the SA Health website.